Just Announced: Sigma Reveals 50-100mm F/1.8 DC HSM Art Constant Aperture Telephoto Lens
Exciting news from Sigma today with the announcement of the worlds first constant aperture telephoto lens, the Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art.
As you may have gathered from the ‘DC’ in the model name the 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art will be available for cropped sensor ASP-C format cameras, and provides 35mm equivalent focal lengths of 75-150mm. This is great news for lovers of midrange telephotos, as the 50-100mm f/1.8 will give you a spread of popular focal lengths at that all important constant f/1.8 aperture. The lens is also a parfocal design making it an attractive prospect to video creatives with its ability to maintain focus whilst zooming.
Hardware-wise the 50-100mm f/1.8 is housed in a 6.7 inch body weighing in at 1.49kg, and features a tripod socked a thread size of 82mm. Sigma are also including an all new Hyper Sonic Motor design in the lens which they claim will be 30% slimmer whilst providing excellent autofocusing abilities. All in all an exciting looking Lens, and another strong entry into Sigma’s catalogue of fantastic cropped sensor lenses, Nikon and Canon take note!
The Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art will be available with Nikon, Sigma and Canon mounts, at a cost of $1,099. Shipping is expected to begin in April. Pre-Order yours at B&H Photo below:
KANAGAWA, JAPAN – February 23, 2016 – Sigma Corporation of America, a leading DSLR lens, camera, flash and accessories manufacturer, today announced the addition of two high-performance APS-C format lenses to the Sigma Global Vision product line: Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Lens and the Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC DN Contemporary Lens.
“Sigma’s aim is to provide high-performance lens options that lead with innovation and break new boundaries for every photographic scenario our customers can dream up,” states Mark Amir-Hamzeh, president of Sigma Corporation of America. “These new lenses build on Global Vision’s great IQ technology and reflect this goal, delivering immense value, quality and performance that the Sigma brand is known for.”
Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art
Building on the groundbreaking Sigma Global Vision 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Lens, the new Sigma 50-100 F1.8 (75-150mm on 35mm format) mid-range zoom lens embodies the same engineering prowess to deliver outstanding prime lens-like results. Factoring in the APS-C image circle of 1.5x, the 50-100mm F1.8 covers three popular short tele prime focal lengths: 85mm, 105mm and 135mm. Like the 18-35mm F1.8, the new 50-100mm F1.8 maintains a constant F1.8 aperture yielding exceptional brightness and resolution throughout the zoom, while simultaneously maintaining focus as the lens is zoomed, a feature videographers will greatly appreciate.
Sigma Art Line Image Technology Innovation
- Features three FLD (F Low Dispersion) glass elements, one SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass element, and one high-refractive index, high-dispersion glass element to minimize aberrations.
- Redesigned and enhanced, the new Hyper Sonic Motor is 30% slimmer and provides fast and accurate AF.
- Highly durable polycarbonate diaphragm made with fluorine; blades feature carbon feather film offering exceptionally smooth operation even during continuous shooting.
Outstanding Zoom Lens Maneuverability
- Inner focusing and zoom design offer versatile shooting options
- Tripod socket for stable, comfortable operation
- Features 21 elements / 15 groups, Minimum Aperture: F1.6, 82mm filter thread, Minimum Focus Distance: 37.4in, Dimensions: 3.7×6.7, Weight: 52.6oz